Yesterday I competed in the Martin Millers gin ‘Tastemakers’ competition; it was a really excellent day and the quality of drinks from everyone was unbelievable. Our entry was a ‘Cucumber Sandwich Martini’, and as it’s a bit of a weird one I thought it’d be good to share the recipe.
You’re going to need;
- A croissant
- A slice of white bread
- some vodka
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bottle Martin Millers Gin
To start off, you need to make an infusion of ‘bread and butter’ with the croissant, white brad and vodka. Take about 250ml vodka, and put it in a bowl with the bread and croissant. Leave that mix for at least 6 hours, and you’ll see the vodka has a beautiful gold colour. Strain the liquid into a glass, and very gently squeeze the vodka out of the croissant and bread in a sieve. Pop the liquid you’re left with in the fridge overnight and in the morning, pour the clear liquid into a bottle and leave the particles of croissant/bread that have settled in the glass.
Once you’ve got that Bread & Butter tincture, you’re good to go.
- Muddle 4 slices of cucumber gently in your shaker
- Add 25ml of the Bread & Butter
- Add 50ml of Martin Millers gin
- Add a small pinch of salt
- Shake that all together vigorously with ice, and strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with slices of cucumber with a few drops of vinegar and fresh pepper